What would a holiday meal be without sides?…. See below for staples that won’t sacrifice flavor
Let’s start with the most important. Can there be a holiday meal without Macaroni & Cheese?
Macaroni & Cheese
- 2 cups of macaroni ( whole grain)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- Cook macaroni according to directions—but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 o F.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions to saucepan and saute for about 3 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 3 cups water
- ¼ pound smoked turkey breast, skinless
- 1 tablespoon fresh hot pepper, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 pounds greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale, or mixture)
- Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to boil.
- Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems.
- Tear or slice leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Add greens to turkey stock. Cook for 20–30 minutes until tender.
- 3 medium yams (1½ cups)
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon orange peel
- 1 teaspoon soft tub margarine
- ½ cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of sliced yams in medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Recipe Links: Side Dish Recipes
Stay tuned for next week’s feature: Desserts
Also published on Medium.