When I used to consume meat one of my favorite types of food was: Caribbean. I even had it almost every day on my honeymoon to Jamaica. Since converting to a vegetarian, I haven’t had Carribean food and had a strong hankering for my old fave. One thing I have learned with not eating meat: It’s not the meat thats missed, it’s the flavor. Try this recipe out to get the jerk flavor without the meat.
- Marinade (makes 2 cups of marinade):
- 7 Green Onions
- Thumb- size chunk 0f fresh ginger
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 tsp of diced garlic
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Tamari
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp All Spice
- 1 Tbsp Nutmeg
- 1/3 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 package of tempeh (I used the Lightlife Brand) or 4oz. of tempeh
- Prepare marinade my combining ingredients in a blender/food processor.
- Cut tempeh into 1″ cubes.
- Place tempeh in a bag or container to marinate.
- Cover tempeh with 1/3 cup of marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight to absorb marinade.
- When ready to cook, add 1 tsp of oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Once pan is hot, add tempeh to the pan and stir until lightly golden brown.
Serve with rice and peas and/or cabbage. These recipes are soon to come.
What is your favorite food to have with jerk flavor?